03 March 2011

March Hare

Tuesday night a young guy showed up with this wrapped up in a hoodie.

March_Hare

It's a snowshoe hare, which is the predominant leporid species around these parts, though still not seen very frequently. This one is already starting to transition from winter to summer coat. She (He? I didn't really look) had apparently been hit by car and was a bit dazed but had no obvious major injuries. The trouble with bunnies is that they often don't do well in captive situations, even when they're being well cared for.

Still, this one seemed well enough to warrant trying to save, so I made a stop by the Center for Wildlife on my way home. As I've said many times over, they're good folks and if anyone can get this little hare hopping again, they're the ones to do it.

And as I've also said before, it does cost them money to take care of all the critters, so if you do happen to have $5 or $10 to spare, click the donation button on their site. Think of it as giving up a visit or two to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Donating to the animals is good for your health!

Stash Sale for Lee Ann


And if you're looking for an option for fattening something that won't be bad for your health, Norma is helping dear friend Lee Ann sell off her stash. Details are over on Norma's blog, but I will say this: Lee Ann has excellent taste in fiber. Even though I really, really don't need any of it, I've put in a couple of bids. It's lovely stuff, and I can't think of a better reason to plump up my stash.



UPDATE:

I found out this morning that the hare was euthanized after he took a sudden turn for the worse and started showing neurological signs. Their suspicion is that he most likely had a parasitic infection that spread to his brain.

I found out in the course of dropping off this barred owl that had been hit by car last night and had a broken wing. Hopefully this one will fare better, but I'm told they have had considerably more owls than normal this season because of the unusually deep snowpack. Rodents are only surfacing where there has been signicant melting of the snow, which is primarily along roads. So if you are on the fence about donating something to them, they still really, really need it.

7 comments:

Hanuman Das said...

Such a cutie! I will have to head on over there!

Kimberly said...

What a sweet little thing. I hope something can be done for her (him).

Anonymous said...

Awww. DH has often said that when we are fully retired he would like to foster injured animals for local vets and/or the humane society. (So I donated. Thanks for the link.

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness. Poor thing. :(

MaureenTakoma said...

I realize your blog is primarily knitting-related but I do enjoy the vet stuff (even the gory pics).

Luuworld said...

oh no! the hare died. shit, that made me sad.

tornwordo said...

The owl is gorgeous. I hope he or she makes it.